This is a very big day.
After several months of planning, I am happy to announce that the Chicago Tribune has decided to host my photo blog at chicagotribune.com/assignmentchicago. It officially launches today.
Up until this point, Assignment Chicago has been a personal blog operating with the blessing of the Chicago Tribune. Essentially, it was a start-up blog, independently hosted. Growth has been by word of mouth and by the support of friends, family and colleagues.
With the support of the Tribune, AC has potential for a lot more growth. As part of the new Trib Photo Nation initiative, my colleague Scott Strazzante and I will both have photo blogs. Another photo blog of a more general nature will be edited by Robin Daughtridge, the director of photography. Both of them can be found on the header navigation where my blog is found. I encourage you to check them out.
This is a big step for this photo blog but a significant step for photojournalism as well. I’m not aware of any other major city newspaper in the country where a photojournalist maintains their own photo blog on their employer’s web site. Hopefully, this will be the start of many more. Torry Bruno, the associate managing editor for photography, deserves major credit for taking the lead on this development.
So what are the benefits for readers?
• Outtakes -I am now able to present images that have not been published in the paper or our online galleries. That had been a limitation. This opens up many possibilities, as there are often photos that haven’t found a place, but now will on the blog.
• The Same Big Pictures – wonderfully, images will remain big and wide – like the “Big Picture” blog in Boston. This visual presentation is also uncommon on news websites.
• Archive – AssignmentChicago.com will not go away. It will remain as an archive of past images of the photo blog
• Bigger Community – more people and more viewpoints to see.
• Copy Editing – I’ve been called “comma challenged”. Go figure!
• My Picture – I would list this under “mandatory new feature”, not an actual benefit:-)
Friends of this photo blog on Facebook won’t experience any disruption. My future links will now be to the new location.
The Twitter crowd will also be linked to the future location.
***Readers who use an RSS Feed for this blog, however, will have to change to the new feed URL from the new blog homepage.
I wanted to give a sincere thank you to all those who have encouraged and supported this photo blog. Without it, it could have become yet another shipwrecked blog on the internet. As it is, we have caught some wind, and are making a difference in the online world of photojournalism. Thank you so much.
If you haven’t, would you consider suggesting this photo blog to a friend who appreciates photography? The easy to remember URL is www.chicagotribune.com/assignmentchicago. We’re on Facebook too, at www.facebook.com/assignmentchicago.
See you on the street,